Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine focused on the digestive system and its disorders. The medical specialty devoted to the study, diagnosis, and treatment of disorders of the digestive system.
These disorders may affect the esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, small intestine, large intestine (colon), liver, gallbladder, or pancreas.
Symptoms & Diagnosis
Gastroenterologists have a thorough understanding of how food moves through the digestive tract (called motility) and the physical and chemical break down of food (digestion), including the absorption of nutrients and the removal of waste products. Gastroenterologists also focus on the digestive function of the liver.
Gastroenterologists often serve as consultants to other physicians and may work in the research field. Gastroenterologists specialize in the evaluation, diagnosis, management, and treatment of the following symptoms and conditions:
- Abdominal pain and discomfort
- Constipation and diarrhea
- Difficulty swallowing
- Diverticular disease and other diseases of the colon (e.g., polyps, irritable bowel syndrome [IBS], colitis, Crohn’s disease)
- Gallbladder disease
- Heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Inflammation in the digestive tract (e.g., gastritis)
- Liver disease (e.g., hepatitis, jaundice)
- Malabsorption disorders (e.g., celiac disease, lactose intolerance)
- Stomach upset, nausea, vomiting
- Unexplained weight loss
(010) 380 088
Your treatment plan is designed for steady progress, with every phase promptly implemented.